Refresh Your Home With Worthy Improvement Projects
September 05 2022 – Jessica Woodend
By: Tina Martin (guest blogger)
Problems with your residence can have serious consequences for your physical and mental well-being, according to MedicineNet. Resolving to make your house a safer, more pleasant place to call home starting today is great for the wellbeing of you and those who surround you.
Kill the Clutter
Ridding your home of unwanted possessions is an essential home improvement step. We all accumulate some excess items over the course of our lives, things that sit unused and unneeded while they take up valuable space. Why not turn those items into cash by gathering them together and having a yard sale? Or, donate unused and/or unwanted items to a worthy cause or a person in need. You'll have less to worry about and more room to move around.
Keep Pests Away
Bugs are generally not welcome guests in our homes, but sometimes insects are more than pests: they can be dangerous. Black widow and brown recluse spiders can be deadly to humans and pets if not kept in check. And fire ants can cause a lot of pain and damage if they swarm a household member. Keep these and other unwanted pests away from your living space and your loved ones with a pest control service.
If you’d prefer a more natural and eco-friendly solution, most pest control companies offer nontoxic and natural remedies. Or, you can take advantage of a natural predator/prey hierarchy. Bats are a friendly nocturnal and natural pest control option, and they’re easy to draw to your property with a tasteful and easy to install a BatBnB. These units provide a safe habitat for the bats, and in return they will help remove a variety of pests, including mosquitos that can carry
diseases, from your property.
● Dumping everything out of your so-called "junk drawers" and placing needed items in plastic storage containers.
● Starting with shared spaces like the kitchen and moving on to smaller, less-used areas.
● Using free space on walls, the sides of cabinets, etc., for storage. You can make your own low-cost shelving for a minimum investment of time and effort. You need only a cordless drill, a level, a few pieces of pre-cut lumber, and basic hardware items.
You could even put in a home office of your own design, which can remove some of your bookkeeping and work-related clutter from other spaces in your home. Take the time to think through your design first. Your home office should be functional for daily use, not just a pretty space in your home. Factor in good natural and indoor lighting, storage, and some ergonomic furniture to ensure you love your new work space.
The good news is that all these improvement projects can increase your home’s value! Even if you’re not looking to sell now, home values in Louisville, Kentucky, are rising, so it can be a good time to take advantage of some home improvement projects. You never know what you’ll want to do in the future. Home prices in this area have been steadily increasing, and are
currently 5.7% higher than this time last year. With homes selling at around $249,000, it could be good to consider selling or refinancing, as your property is likely worth more than it was when you bought it. Adding features like a new home office, which is a feature many home buyers are looking for now, can provide even more value to your house.
Here are some of the things you should check:
● Leaks around doors, windows, ceiling fans cutouts, outlets, and your attic door.
● Insulation in your attic and crawl space.
● Water heater temperature and the insulation around the incoming and outgoing pipes.
You might have access to various state, local, or federal tax rebates or other incentives for energy-related home projects. Check with your financial professional for details.
Even simple checks can help save a lot of money and prevent hazards. Overheating clothes dryers are a common fire hazard, according to the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Cleaning the hose and vent can help prevent this danger to your home. Detach the flexible hose behind the dryer and clean it thoroughly inside and out. Do the same with the vent that leads to
the outside as well. Experts recommend doing this at least once a year, more often if your dryer sees heavy use. You'll find vent brushes at most hardware and home improvement stores.
● Walk around the exterior and check the foundation for cracks, crumbling mortar, or other signs of damage. It’s also important to give your exterior a good cleaning at least once a year to clear away any dirt or potential harmful debris.
● Spruce up your driveway, patio and sidewalks with a power washer. Be sure to inspect the pavement as you work; over time, these surfaces erode and crack.
● Give your shingles a close look from street level and plan to call a roofer right away if you see missing or damaged shingles. Search for deals from highly reputable roofing companies before choosing a contractor.
● Last but certainly not least, if your plumbing needs some attention, simply search online for plumbers in your area and compare ratings and reviews to make sure you’re getting the best deal from trustworthy experts.
A safe, sound residence is crucial for your family's well-being. There are plenty of cost-effective ways to update your home in functional ways that will make daily living easier, and even increase your property’s value when you choose to sell. And many of these projects are preventative, and will help you to save money and increase your safety along the way.